Sunday, January 25, 2009

To chant or not to chant. Or, Om it or lose it.

One of the assignments in the Philosophy portion of my Yoga Teacher Training is discussing the sound Om, and whether we should do it in a class with our students.

As always, it was a debate with a few sides of the coin thrown in. Some said, "We should do it but not before explaining the significance of it so people won't get weirded out by it." Some said, "We should just chant, and when people feel comfortable enough with it, they'll join us."

In some places, though, this question isn't even a question. At 24 Hour Fitness, for example, chanting is not allowed in yoga class, period. (Because, you know, someone's going to be offended that this "weird religious thing" is getting in the way of them getting a yoga butt.)

Personally, I agree that we tend to feel more comfortable saying or doing something once we understand its meaning, reason, and purpose.

However, for some reason, the first time that I heard the Anusara invocation, I immediately felt drawn to it, and without even knowing the words and what they mean, I would find myself humming and singing it to myself from time to time.

I wonder if there are certain sounds that just resonate (har) with us, from a visceral level, with something deep and unconscious inside of us? I wonder if somewhere, our mind has a memory of a certain sound or rhythm that, even if we think it's the first time we hear it, it's actually been imprinted in us before?

Before I get too deep into it, here is the Anusara invocation:

Om Namah Shivaya Gurave
I offer myself to the one true teacher within and without
Saccidananda Murtaye
In the forms of reality, consciousness and bliss
Nisprapancaya Shantaya
Ever present and full of peace
Niralambaya Tejase
Independent being, the vital essence of illumination

णमह शिवाय गुरवे
सच्सिदानान्दा मुर्तये
निस्प्रपंकाया शान्ताय
निरालाम्बाया तेजसे

No comments:

Post a Comment