Sunday, January 25, 2009

About "The Yoga Education of Nikki Chau"

I am the luckiest girl on earth, in this context, in choosing a Yoga Teacher Training program.

When I came up with the revelation to learn how to teach, I searched far and low in all corners of Google to find a Teacher Training Program, and it was no less daunting than finding fresh French truffles.

A Google search for "yoga teacher training" yielded 540,000 results, and "yoga teacher training seattle" yielded 82,300 results as of this writing.

What's the difference between all of them? Does it matter? Who's doing the teaching? What do all these names mean? Is it the yoga style or the center's name? How much does it cost? When is it?

All these questions floated in my head.

As luck would have it, I decided to go with Pacific Yoga, and cannot possibly be happier with my decision.

The teachers: Theresa Elliott, Kathryn Payne, and Paul Bubak, provide a thorough and well-rounded program of skills in asanas, pranyama, Sanskrit, philosopy, and anatomy. I especially appreciate learning about alignment and anatomy in the Asana portion, because I had never learned much about alignment prior to this, except for an Iyengar class with Richard Schatel at the Center for Yoga of Seattle.

Since I started studying with Theresa, Kathryn, and Paul, and especially working with Theresa closing on yoga postures, I have gained an enormous amount of respect for how the body works. Quite honestly, I'm completely *horrified* at how negligent other yoga teachers are, but that's the topic of another post.

So, this blog will detail my learning, and unlearning, of all things yoga, and inevitably, life. Much that I will write about will come from my training at Pacific Yoga, other Yoga Intensives and workshops, books I read, and living my yoga off the mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment